NEEDHAM, Mass., Feb. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel community, today announced its picks for the 10 best beaches in the U.S. for families, according to TripAdvisor travelers and editors. According to a recent TripAdvisor survey of nearly 400 travelers with children age 18 or younger, 78 percent will take a beach trip with their children this spring or summer, and 92 percent will specifically seek out family-friendly beaches.
Top 10 Family-Friendly Beaches in the U.S.
1. Put Your Money in the Banks: Nags Head Beach, The Outer Banks, North Carolina Families have plenty of beach to enjoy as the lovely Outer Banks islands are surrounded by 900 square miles of water. Nags Head, in particular has it all, including a sprawling sandy beach, lifeguards and water sports.
2. By George, They've Got It: St. George Island State Park Beach, St. George Island, Florida A quiet island on Florida's panhandle, the state park beach of St. George Island features some of the most beautiful and family-friendly beaches of the gulf coast.
3. Coronado Coronation: Glorietta Bay Beach, Coronado, California On the north end of the Silver Strand in San Diego County, Glorietta Beach features year-round warm weather, and calm surf along with picnic tables and a park.
4. Sanibel Tolls for Thee: Bowman's Beach, Sanibel Island, Florida A haven for those who like to collect shells, this gulf-side getaway features shallow waters, white sandy beaches, outdoor showers and barbeque grills.
5. Family-Friendly to the Hilt: Hilton Head Island Beach, Hilton Head, South Carolina A glorious beach destination, perfect for young children, the "renourished" beach also offers kayaking and dolphin tours.
6. Indiana Jonesing: Indiana Dunes State Park Beach, Michigan City, Indiana Featuring three miles of soft sand from Gary, Indiana to Michigan City, this tranquil beach destination features picnic areas and a pavilion on the beach with a snack bar.
7. Rubber Duckies Welcome: Bathtub Beach, Stuart, Florida: Unlike many big surf beaches on Florida's east coast, beautiful golden sand Bathtub Beach is protected by a reef that creates a lagoon effect, with calm, warm water, lifeguards, picnic tables and restrooms.
8. Texas Stew-Step: Stewart Beach, Galveston, Texas Families are the focus at this popular, amenities-rich beach park, where volleyball, sandcastle competitions, concerts and other family-oriented activities are the norm.
9. May Day: Higbee Beach, Cape May, New Jersey Situated near the U.S. Coast Guard Training Center, this southern New Jersey destination is a classic seashore resort with miles of soft, white sand and calm surf. Cape May is also a prime spot for whale and bird watching.
10. Oh My Cod: Mayo Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts This beautiful Wellfleet Bay beach offers warm and calm water, shallow points along the shore, a playground across the street and great views of the fishing boats leaving the pier.
"These beaches fit the bill for family-friendliness with soft sand (not rocky), calm and temperate water (no big surf, scary tides or ice cold water), activities or amenities that are fun for kids, and conveniences for parents, like bathrooms and picnic tables," said Michele Perry, director of communications for TripAdvisor. "They're also beautiful, relaxing spots that every parent will enjoy.